Thursday, September 1, 2011

Entry 19: Field: Day 10: Lazy Sunday at Lawngtlai.

19th June, Sunday
Lawngtlai.

I woke up late today. I must have been tired from all the adventures on the road yesterday. When I got up, the morning meal was all prepared and my uncle and my aunt were just waiting for me to get up! Imagine my embarrassment! 

As we were getting ready for church, my aunt was concerned about what I was wearing to church. I brought exaclty one pair of formal wear for my travel because I know I was going to spend two Sundays on the road. However, I also knew I would attend two different churches (maybe in a different village) so I packed my green top and a matching puan. My aunt kept on telling me that my top was to old and my puan too 'tunlai lo'. Don't get me wrong, whenever I come home for holidays, I always made sure I pack my best clothes. But  somehow, they always end up looking old or out-of -date when I reach Aizawl after just a matter of hours. The case was the same even here in Lawngtlai. My aunt kept rummaging through her well -ironed Sunday wear as she kept telling me "Hei hi i duh em? Nge hei zawk hi? Nula nih chuan nalh deuha in chei tur!"  I ended up with her black top and her tunlai puan and felt awkward in the new gear.

 I went to church but I hardly listened to the sermon as I spend most of the time running after my hyperactive cousins. By afternoon, I was so tired that I napped with my infant cousin for a few hours. I woke up to a ruckus. I have no words for it. You just have to watch the video!



I know! I am being mean! But my cousins will thank me one day when they grow up!

We had a relatively quiet dinner and I babysat my three cousins while the parents went for an evening service. Staying for a few days with my aunt made me admire stay at home moms and helpful daddies much more than I previously had. It would be wrong to say that there's no adventure today because attempting to keep peace between three kids all under the age of 4 is one heck of a job.

When the evening service got over, I was more than happy to sign the kids over to the parents. We retired early for the night as I had an early appointment at the LADC office to meet another informant the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment