Thursday, September 1, 2011

Entry 20: Field: Day 11: Meeting last contact.

20th June, Monday
Lawngtlai.

Today, I surprised myself and woke up early enough to help my aunt cook brunch. My appointment to meet my last contact was shifted to 11:00 AM so I spend the morning bathing the kids and teaching the eldest a nursery rhyme.

Finally, at 10:30 AM I left my aunt's place and headed towards the LADC office to meet Mr. Hmun Hre. I would sheepishly admit that I entered the wrong building! But then I met a friend of my cousin who guided me towards the new building. The office staffs were pleasant and helpful and put me right through for the meeting. How I wish the same staff would be in JNU during scholarship renewal season! Sigh! 

I couldn't express my gratitude enough when Pu Hmun Hre gave me an uninterrupted two whole hours for my interview. He told his staff to lock his office from outside during the interview. A busy man holding the post of  Vice Chairman, Planning and Commission in the Lai Autonomous District Council, two hours is a lot for him. After the interview, we switched numbers and he told me he'll contact me when he visits Delhi. (Which he did. He called me yesterday and told me he'll reach Delhi in a week's time and told me to be ready with my new batch of questionnaires! Ah! Lucky me! )

Pu Hmun Hre at his office in LADC office, Lawngtlai

I've already written excerpts of my interview with Pu Hmun Hre when it comes to colors in my other blog. (Click here to go to the post) Though he failed miserably in the names of colors, he is one person to ask about the history and all other general information about the Lai people and the Lai language.

After leaving the LADC office, I went to the Guesthouse where my dad was staying. According to our schedule, we were supposed to leave Lawngtlai in the afternoon and spend a night at Lunglei. But when I reached the guesthouse, my dad was sick so we had to replan and stay one more night at Lawngtlai. 

My one night stay at the guesthouse was one fitful night. It's so far, perched on a hilltop and maintenance was well neglected. Though I know I'd miss Lawngtlai terribly, I couldn't wait to leave the guesthouse and be on the road back to Aizawl.


No comments:

Post a Comment